Thursday 12 April 2012

A Sikh Girl's Conversion Story

Below is the story of Sister Zainab, a Sikh girl, who was guided to the straight path with a little help from her best friend, and a miracle from Allah (S.W.T.).

"As I was getting older, in my teenage years, my dad always made me believe that all Muslims are bad people. They can't be trusted. The Muslim boys influence Sikh girls and take them to Pakistan and sell them there. 

"But I always thought differently. To me everyone was always equal dispite the fact what religion they were. I never chose my friends by religion. 

"Eventually I went to university where I met my best friend. She was the nicest Muslim I had ever known. She was religious and wore a Hijab. It made me think how all Muslims can be bad if she's so nice. Although we were very different, we became very close. I used to go out, dress differently, do all the bad things you do when you're young. I never did those things when she was visiting me. 

"I also became close friends with a Muslim boy. Eventually we began dating. It became serious but I always knew when I move back home I had to leave him and marry a Sikh man.

"He taught me how to read the 'Kalima'. He wasn't a religious Muslim (as you can tell) so he never taught me anything else about Islam other than reciting the Kalima. Where I was living I used to go pass a Mosque everyday and for some strange reason the Kalima used to come into my mind.

"Time went on. I lost contact with my best friend. She got married and had problems. Then this strange thing happened one night. I was sitting alone in my university flat and I noticed something on my hand. It looked like an 'Allah' sign on my hand visible through my veins. I didn't think much of it, and told my boyfriend but he just got freaked out. Then we forgot about it.

"Eventually I moved back home, but I was very unhappy. I thought it was because I was away from my friends and my boyfriend. I visited them every month. I got in touch with my best friend again in 2006 and I showed her my hand. She was very surprised but we didn't talk about it then.

"I tried to fit in with my family. I wasn't interested in marriage which my parents started saying constantly, as I was still in love with my boyfrined. I tried my best to be happy but I just couldn't. My parents didn't really understand. 

Then one day, I was very distressed. I went to visit my best friend. We talked and then she said, "Why don't you just pray like you normally do and ask God to lead you to your right path?" 

"That night I dreamt about the 'Kabah Sharif' and I knew then, that I wanted to become a Muslim.

"I was very confused for a while. Excited but then unhappy because I would have to leave my family. I was happy because I thought I could then also marry my boyfriend and we can learn about Islam together. 

"Time went on. Me and my boyfriend broke up. But I still wanted to become a Muslim. Day by day I hated not being able to learn about Islam at home. I wanted to learn how to perform Salah.

"Eventually I left home without telling my parents, I didn't tell them at first that I had reverted. They forgave me and I visited them a few times. They had suspicion because I changed myself and the way I dressed. I hadn't actually started wearing a Hijab yet, but I had been advised and I believed that every step should be taken slowly. I did not want to wear it and take it off. I wanted to wear it and not ever take it off.

"My parents now know that I am a Muslim and they do not talk to me anymore. I have a strong Iman and I believe that InshaAllah one day they will be Muslims.


"I shall be visiting Pakistan in September InshaAllah. I cannot wait. I will be wearing an Abaya and Niqaab for the first time InshaAllah.

"Anyway, I want to write a book eventually of my story in depth and how I felt through this journey. This is just a brief summary. I am trying to get a clear picture of my hand and hopefully I will show you one day.

Allah Hafiz 
Zainab"

Since writing this story, Sister Zainab has told that her father now rings her from time to time and she has started wearing a hijab

No comments:

Post a Comment